Peacepipe Smoke Shop Santa Rosa, Cotati, North Bay's Kind Smoke Shop, Decal Application Instructions
FREE Decal application instructions guide
This is a very detailed guide on vinyl cut decal application / installation.
If you would like to download a FREE PDF File version of this guide you can Download the PDF file here
If you want to skip straight to the decal application instructions you can start here ------> Cleaning procedures:
Suitable surfaces for application:
The good news is:
Vinyl will stick to many surfaces. In determining whether your intended surface is adequate, keep in mind that, as a general rule of thumb, vinyl will stick to almost any surface that is clean and either smooth or nonporous. To demonstrate the necessary surface qualities, we use glass versus brick as a quick example. Vinyl will stick very well to glass because of its smooth surface. On the other hand, due to its rough exterior, vinyl will not stick well to brick.
Not recommended surfaces:
These lists are not comprehensive and there are other acceptable and unacceptable substrates than those listed above. Again, when in doubt, apply the rule that states vinyl will generally adhere well to smooth, glossy and clean surfaces. Rough, dull, peeling, porous or dirty surfaces, on the other hand, will likely not produce an acceptable vinyl application.
What is a vinyl cut decal?
Each decal has 3 layers:
1. The top layer is the transfer tape.
Quick vinyl decal application tips:
- Do not apply in cold weather, adhesive may stick but will lift easily.
- Do not apply in extreme heat, apply in the shade, vinyl will get very soft and stretch in extreme heat.
- Do not use alcohol to apply, it will destroy the adhesive.
- Do not touch the adhesive backing, oils from your skin will prevent sticking.
- Do not point high pressure car wash nozzle at the edges of the decal for a long time, may lift or break pieces. Car washes are safe.
- Before application make sure there is no wax or Rain-X products on the surface, adhesive may stick but will lift easily.
- Don't apply wax over graphics, especially if the wax contains any petroleum distillates.
- When using squeegee / credit cards on decal after transfer tape is removed, place squeegee / credit cards inside sock and then squeegee decal. (This will prevent scratching the decal)
Surface temperatures must be between 50 and 90 degrees fahrenheit before attempting the installation. As a general rule, if the surface is hot to the touch it's over 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Adhesive becomes brittle when it gets too cold and gummy when it gets too hot. Applications outside the recommended range of 50 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit reduce the adhesives' ability to perform.
- Masking tape / paint tape
- A squeegee or 2 credit cards back to back
- 1 Clean sock (to wrap around squeegee / cards)
All surfaces are contaminated to some degree. To ensure good adhesion to any vehicle surface it is critical that you follow these recommended procedures in decontaminating and preparing the surface prior to any vinyl product installation.
Prepping the decal for application: (Very important you do this)
- Turn decal face down on a flat hard surface and rub the squeegee / credit cards across surface of the decal.
You are now ready to apply the vinyl decal!
Step 1 - Measure where you want you decal to be.
Step 2 - Apply tape horizontally across decal
Step 3 - Peel the bottom waxy liner (backing paper) layer away from the decal and transfer tape starting at the opposite side of the masking taped hinge, and slowly remove it.
Step 4 - While still holding the transfer tape layer away from the smooth surface. Use a squeegee / credit cards. Start from the side with the tape and gently work away from the tape.
Step 5 - Use your squeegee / credit cards and apply pressure from the middle to the outward sides, this will remove the air and start the decal adhesion.
Step 6 - Now you're ready to pull off your transfer tape layer and view your decal.
Step 7 - Stand back and enjoy your decal!
- Begin by heating one corner of the marking with a blow dryer, heat lamp, hot water or heat gun until hot to the touch.
If you have any questions at all or need any help please Contact Us
Thank you and enjoy your decals!